Sunday, April 22

Chocolate Sauce

I am a huge fan of ice cream. The worst kind of fan; secretly eating half the carton, selfishly so. But I lead myself to believe it is because no one else will enjoy it as much as I do. Or that they really don't want any. Which is mostly true...

Anyway. Chocolate sauce is ridiculously expensive for what it is. I mean, cocoa powder with some sugar costs $4 for an 8 oz jar? I pay less for my beauty cream. Which explains a lot, n'est pas?

Enter my do-it-a-own abilities. For about $2, I made a delicious vat of rich, dark chocolate sauce in about five minutes. 

Away we go.

Ingredients:
1.5 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup of water
dash of salt
squirt of vanilla

 
Step One: Stir the sugar and cocoa together in a pot. This is very important. If you try to mix the cocoa in directly with the water in the next step, it will float to the surface in clumps and you will have a devil of a time trying to submerge it and make it into something edible.

Step Two: Over medium/high heat, slowly stir in the water. 

Step Three: Boil the mixture until the sugar looks like it is mostly dissolved. Should be about 5-10 minutes. Mine was quick, but being at 6500', I can't be a super reliable source for exact cooking times.

Step Four: Remove the mixture from the heat and add vanilla.

Step Five: Do not let anyone else eat any, as they will not understand the time and effort you have put into this creation. 

Mix it with peanut butter. Add some coconut, some nuts, some... ummm... someping else (as Gator says). Eat with Rice Krispie Treats, over ice cream, with apples and other good for you crap.

I store mine in a mason jar and it has lasted an inordinately long period of time. I've also kept myself from snacking on it hourly, so it might be gone faster if you don't share my will power.

No comments:

Post a Comment